Automobiles and fashion are apples and oranges to most people. The only way you could associate both is if you somehow have a fashion show sponsored by a car company. Something like Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week comes to mind for me. On the other hand, fashion and cars can share elements of artistic and expressive elements. Nowhere is this more apparent than when you think about trying to inspire your design or your style around automobiles that express the same or similar messages as your outfit. You also can create a parallel between the two if you somehow think of fashion designers who try to make their own custom designs of cars. In one of my most unique posts here on "StyleSpace by JBM," welcome to my blog post regarding fashion and cars!
This blog post is a unique look at fashion and cars. As a car lover, I am excited to try and offer this topic to you fashion lovers. I know there are a lot of you who may not like cars all that much. That's okay. However, remember that every topic I post about somehow ties into fashion in some capacity. I'm sure you will get to enjoy this post as you do any of my others.
Follow SS on Bloglovin'! SS by JBM on Bloglovin'
LATEST UPDATE(S)/REVISION(S):AUG 27 2013 - added another link to the Blogging Inspirations
--- Fashion and Cars ---Even if you don't love or care about automobiles, the two have some great similarities. The best looking of cars often represent stylish machines that are every bit as stylish as the ones who aren't content with any basic and mundane vehicles.
There are instances where automobiles and fashion somewhat go hand-in-hand. For example, the "Sex and the City 2" movie promoted various Mercedes-Benz models, such as the GL-Class SUVs from Mercedes-Benz. Anyone who knows of the Sex and the City series knows about the real upscale persona exhibited by the characters and such. So what better car company to showcase automobiles as savvy as each of the SATC characters than with Mercedes-Benz? Some fashion designers have made their own offerings in the automotive world with various designs and customs from the respective designers. Some made proper machines, and some others just nonchalantly adorn a car with logos of any sort of designer. Such people would try to dress up a car's exterior and/or interior to look like (for example) a designer handbag from Louis Vuitton or Dooney and Bourke.
Understandably, posh and stylish automobiles will immediately be of approval to stylish people. People who love automobiles of these kinds often seek vehicles that speak to every level of their style with fabulous automobiles.
Inspiration For This Post.This blog post was actually inspired by designer Isaac Mizrahi, who once created a fashion line inspired by the Chevrolet Malibu. This link is a little look as Isaac Mizrahi introduces his collection: Isaac Mizrahi introduces his Malibu Collection.
This video gives you an interesting parallel between fashion and cars based on the Issac Mizrahi example. There was one video I was going to feature, but I then found a much better video when researching this topic. So take a look at what I found to set the tone for this blog post:
^ "Chevrolet Malibu Collection | Malibu Style | Chevrolet "
Now you know what I am trying (or at least attempting) to convey in this blog post.
The Fashion/Automobile Parallel.Some of the most stylish automobiles on the road or in concept have graceful lines or personalities as unique as some stylish people. Such people would prefer driving and being seen in cars which reflect their forward and engaging personalities. When it comes to automobiles as unique as others' fashion tastes, any sort of automobile that captures a certain spirit in automobile form is often vastly appreciated. Most notably are luxury cars and luxury car makers who exemplify the spirit of beautiful fashions. The smooth lines and enticing curves of most automobiles often are as chic as some of the loveliest fashions from some of the finest designers. This creates inspirations that find their way into the minds and hearts and designers in creating their next sort of fashion masterpieces.
Besides automobiles trying to be as chic as some of the finest fashions, there are some designers who try to promote their craft and their image into the automobile world. It is in an attempt to try to further a brand and add to its appeal with any number of inspirations. Some fashion designers tried to lend their style from their clothing and other goods to automobiles. Unique collaborations and partnerships help provide parallels between fashion and cars. Imagine designers who take their brand and their style to automobiles. They may not design the vehicles from concept to production, but they do lend certain characteristics to certain vehicles. Most of them are usually interior and exterior touches that don't put any sort of impact on the car's performance. There have been a number of collaborations between fashion designers and automobiles. For example:
• Designer John Varvatos designed his own special edition Chrysler 300 shown in commercials. His special designs compliment the Chrysler 300 and comes in two versions- the upscale Luxury Edition and the aggressive Limited Edition.
• Anyone who may be a Ferrari lover knows of the association between PUMA and Ferrari. If you visit PUMA stores, you know they sell Ferrari-branded merchandise. PUMA's Ferrari merchandise includes items for males and females. Most of the PUMA gear is for males, but I have seen some fine PUMA handbags for females from one site I visited in researching this topic.
• Versace collaborated with Lamborghini to come up with a special-edition Lamborghini Murciélago called the Murciélago LP640 Versace. The Murciélago LP640 Versace is very rare, costing over $1M US Dollars. The only real modifications to this supercar is all the custom Versace leather in the interior of the Murciélago. Only 20 examples of the Versace-laden Lamborghini Murciélagos were ever made. I think there has been only one roadster version of the Versace Murciélago LP640.
• With the Fiat 500 in the United States, Gucci made their own special edition Fiat 500. The Gucci 500 has various exterior and interior touches to make itself unique and charming.
• Former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham has a Special Edition Range Rover Evoque that is sold. I absolutely love the Range Rover Evoque. Gorgeous crossover SUV. The Victoria Beckham Edition Range Rover Evoque was described as having (indirect quote) "a little bit of a feminine touch, but still make it quite strong and masculine." The official name of this car is the Range Rover Evoque Special Edition with Victoria Beckham.
• Certain car companies have their own fragrances and perfumes. Among others past and present: Ford, Hummer, Ferrari, and Jaguar among many others.
Later in this blog post, I will include links to some of the items I mentioned in this part of this section so you know what I am talking about.
Can Cars Inspire Fashion?Inspiration can come from anywhere. If that includes cars, then one truly can be fashion inspired by cars. Isaac Mizrahi clearly demonstrated this coming up with his Malibu Collection.
Fashion Modeling and Cars.When you try to bring in fashion and fashion posts with cars, you provide an interesting touch to pictures. One does not have to love cars to appreciate nice modeling pictures with cars, but having cars as part of outfit posts makes for very artistic and imaginative posts.
So in a number of ways, you have this parallel between fashion and cars. It's time now to get you inspired on cars and fashion. Go to the next section!
--- Automobile Inspirations With Fashion ---Is it possible to draw fashion inspiration from cars? I think it is possible. Let me share with you some ways you can somewhat think about mixing fashion with inspiration from automobiles.
One of the first things to think about if drawing fashion inspiration from cars is to think about a certain car and take in cues of what makes that car so unique. If you saw the YouTube video I posted earlier, you know what Issac Mizrahi saw in the Chevrolet Malibu that he wanted to bring to a fashion collection of his. Maybe you can use some inspiration if you want to try to inspire your style on a certain automobile. So what I've decided to do is feature some cars for you to be inspired by.
Take a look at these automobiles as I offer you some inspiration in case you want to inspire your wardrobe around a certain car.
Fashion and Cars: Get Inspired!Here are some pictures featuring both fashion and cars. If you don't know what each car is, the captions will tell you what it is. Don't so much pay attention to each individual car; just take note of each photo to gain some fashionable insight:
^ from: www.emercedesbenz.com - Julia Stegner is the woman in this modeling picture with a Mercedes-Benz CLS-class sedan in the background. Or as it is dubbed, a "four-door coupé." This photo was for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Berlin in 2009.
^ from: benzinsider.com - This is a sample of when fashion meets automobiles.
^ from: edwinconan.wordpress.com - The pink vehicle is a Ford Ka convertible, and the model is wearing a beautiful pink and black dress. If you're wondering what that white trail of smoke is, that is because the car and the model are in a wind tunnel, which is used to test the aerodynamics of a vehicle.
^ from: favim.com - Older cars can be just as stylish for fashionable types as any newer car.
^ from: styleclone.com - Two college students created handbags inspired by cues from the Alfa Romeo MiTo.
Maybe I've inspired you here. You have seen cars in fashion as well as certain fashion inspirations featuring cars.
--- Fashion and Cars Around the Internet ---These are links that have a link between cars and fashion. Have a look at these for blogging inspiration:
(CRITERIA FOR INCLUSION: a fashion post featuring automobiles; it doesn't have to be a vehicle the blogger owns)
• "Runaway: Roadtrip with a Mazda MX5" (Lucy and the Runaways) and "On the Road Again with a Mazda MX5" (Lucy and the Runaways) « the blogger with a 1997 Mazda MX-5/Miata in two different outfits, noted by the two different posts.
• "Zara Neon Yellow Sandals" (Stylish Petite) « the blogger showcasing yellow sandals, but also includes a Lexus SC430 convertible.
• "Heavy Metal Thunder" (Faltering Bird) « the blogger modeling in front of a junky old Ford truck.
• "Nothing drives like a Camero // Beleated summer post!" (Faltering Bird) « while wearing a shirt with a Chevrolet Camaro on it, the blogger puts herself around multiple old cars.
• "OOTD: The Ridiculous Bogan Car" (Fashion Adjacent) « the blogger using a Hummer H2 limousine as a prop.
• "OOTD: Motoring Hipsters" (to look for: Style) « a Mini Cooper to go with a casual outfit.
• (ADDED: August 27, 2013) "New Classic" « a Mercedes-Benz coupe is part of this blogger's outfit post.
Blogger Insight: Lynne Gabriel.In recent times, my blogging friend Lynne of "Lynne Gabriel" test drove another stylish Chevrolet- the Chevrolet Cruze. I personally think the Chevrolet Cruze is a truly lovely car. I'm glad we got this car here in the United States. Many people who follow international racing know of the Chevrolet Cruze as a successful car in the FIA World Touring Car Championship. Anyhow, Lynne Gabriel showcases a Chevrolet Cruze in one of her blog posts. Here is the post in question for you to take a look at:
Galveston Beach (Lynne Gabriel) « a swimsuit look by the blogger, and it also features a Chevrolet Cruze.
But wait... there's more!
• "My Cadillac VIP Experience 3.0" (Lynne Gabriel) « a chic dress outfit by the blogger along with a Cadillac XTS.
• "Dress the Population and My Cadillac SRX Experience" (Lynne Gabriel) « a patterned dress along with a Cadillac SRX.
• "In Style with Cadillac CTS and Elle Lauri" (Lynne Gabriel) « a Cadillac CTS and the blogger in a stylish skirt outfit.
I decided to include this bonus post, which does not include the blogger herself. It instead features other individuals with their Cadillacs:
• "The Cadillac-Inspired Outfit Contest Winners with Their Cadillacs" (Lynne Gabriel) « other people showcasing looks in front of their Cadillacs.
If I find any more interesting and relevant material, I will add more links to this section. And always remember- if you have any looks relevant to any topic I post here on "StyleSpace by JBM," PLEASE contact me through Facebook or through my E-Mail. I may link to YOUR post if I like what I see.
By the way... don't you find it funny that since most guys like cars, I failed to find a good outfit post with a guy and a car? Most females think guys are all into cars. So I couldn't find a really good outfit post with a guy and his car. That is... unless you count what I posted from one of Lynne Gabriel's posts.
--- Fashion and Cars: Final Thoughts ---Even if you don't like cars, it is still very possible to draw fashion inspiration from them. Automobiles have about the same sort of charm and character as almost any fashion outfit. The likes of Isaac Mizrahi shown that even cars can serve as fashion inspiration. Automobiles are as much inspiration-worthy as anything. If you can learn anything from this blog post, know that even automobiles- or anything you either care for (or don't care much for) can serve as fashion inspiration. Never stop being inspired. Always seek new ways to express yourself and experience new things- even if you don't like them all that much or at all.
Remember that all of my posts on "StyleSpace by JBM" have some sort of connection to fashion regardless of how insane the topic may be or how far away from clothing I may stray from. I figured since most of my blog posts mostly are meant for a mostly feminine audience, that there would understandably be a number of female (and some male) readers and visitors who may not like cars all that much. I still did as much as I could to try to draw somewhat of a parallel between fashion and cars. I think I could have done better to incorporate both cars and fashion into this discussion. Regardless, I still did my best as a car lover and one who has a love for fashion.
--- Fashion and Cars: Chanel (Bonus Section!) ---So you don't think fashion and cars can really come together? If so, then check this bonus video out. This is a Chanel concept car designed by a Korean car designer named Jinyoung Jo back in 2009. And I'll say this about it... concept car or not, this machine is totally beautiful. Meet the Chanel Fiole concept car:
^ "Chanel Fiore Design Concept"
It's actually called the "Fiole" even though the title of this video says "Fiore."
--- Fashion and Cars: Links ---Want to see more links between fashion and cars? Here are some links for you in case you are interested. A lot of these links feature official links to certain cars to which fashion designers have collaborated with various car companies. So these are links for both fashion lovers and automobile lovers:
• Chrysler 300C John Varvatos Limited Edition
• Range Rover Evoque Special Edition with Victoria Beckham
• FIAT 500 by Gucci
• Stars & Cars, Fashion Week Edition: Isaac Mizrahi on His Chevy-Inspired Designs and Life-Altering Experience in a Cadillac (Vanity Fair)
• "Classic American cars inspire Prada" (Hungeree)
• Ferrari Store « buy Ferrari stuff... including Ferrari fashion and accessories!
• VroomWear: Rev Up Your Car Fashion (VroomGirls) « fashions for women featuring various items from car makers.
Depending on interest to this topic, I may add more links to keep you car lovers who also love fashion interested. I am actually considering doing another blog post similar to this one featuring fashion-relevant items from car companies and featuring car companies.
This is one of my most interesting projects I've come up with for "StyleSpace by JBM." I hope you enjoyed this special sort of project. What do you think about my attempt at bringing together the parallels of fashion and cars? Thank you for reading!
|"Like" me on Facebook, Follow StyleSpace by JBM, and/or Contact Me via E-Mail!|
|Subscribe to John's Blog Space (JBS)||Subscribe to John's Shop Space (JSS)||Subscribe to John's Gran Turismo Space (JGTS)||Subscribe to StyleSpace (SS)|